Eagles – Stay Connected on the Daytona Beach Campus
From movie, trivia and bingo nights, to paint and chalk parties, Embry-Riddle is ramping up its student engagement efforts to keep students connected with each other and the school. The Student Engagement & Student Union team has lined up nearly 30 social events for Daytona Beach Campus students in October. In addition, almost 20 Career Services opportunities are on the calendar between now and early November.
“Even as we wear our face coverings and remain physically distanced, we should also be forging connections with classmates and peers,” said Embry-Riddle President P. Barry Butler. “Your community is here for you. Reach out for it. At the same time, don’t forget to keep looking ahead to a bright post-pandemic future by taking advantage of Embry-Riddle’s many career services opportunities.”
Daytona Beach Campus Dean of Students Lisa Kollar agreed. “Students can use a number of channels, both organized and organic, as an outlet for fun or professional growth,” she said. “I want to thank those students who are dedicated to keeping our campus safe by wearing face coverings, staying six feet apart and steering clear of parties. Your hard work has made a big difference. Let’s be creative together by finding new pathways for engagement.”
New Outdoor RecZone
Dean Kollar has convened a “Building Community Taskforce” that includes student representation. As an initial step, the group has established a RecZone between New Residence Halls 1 and 2. Every evening between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., students can gather in this area to safely enjoy volleyball, basketball and games like corn hole, spike ball and ladder golf.
Designated exercise area on the Daytona Beach Campus also allow students to remove their face coverings, stay healthy and blow off steam, so long as they keep their distance from others. Review the map of designated exercise areas on the Daytona Beach Campus. Face coverings must be worn to and from the designated exercise areas.
Student Clubs & Organizations
Student clubs and organizations are another great way for students to find and build community, said Karin Gollin, executive director of Student Engagement and the Student Union. The Daytona Beach Campus currently supports 230 student organizations. Campus Groups, Embry-Riddle’s student organization software, provides contact information for all student groups.
Log onto ERNIE to find more information on student clubs and organizations.
Forthcoming social events as well as Career Services activities are listed below. All in-person activities will require face coverings and physical distancing.
Student Engagement & Student Union Events
A fun array of student activities are always posted to the Student Union & Student Engagement page within ERNIE. This month’s offerings include:
- TNG Movie: Parasite – Oct. 1, IC 101, 8:30 p.m.
- Voter Registration Tabling – Oct. 1-2, Student Union (SU) 1st floor, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Skyline Social: Virtual Trivia via Zoom – Oct. 2, 8:00 p.m.
- SGA Cookies & Brownies – Oct. 8, SU 1st floor, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Chalk Art: Feeling the Groove – Oct. 8-9, Legacy Walk, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Homecoming Cartoonist – Oct. 8, Legacy Walk, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Festival on the Quad – Oct. 9, Legacy Walk & Connolly Quad, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Homecoming Court Reveal – Oct. 9, SU 1st floor, 1:00 p.m.
- TNG Presents: Taxiway Tunes Featuring Alex Ahn – Oct. 9, SU 1st floor, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Skyline Social: Bling Bingo – Oct. 9, Event Center A-C, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Paint Party: Guitarry Night – Oct. 9, Event Center A-C, 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m.
- TNG Drive-In Movie: National Treasure – Oct. 9, Concorde Parking Lot, 8:30 p.m.
- True to the Blue 5K for Ashley Guindon – Oct. 10, Connolly Quad, 7:30 – 9:30 a.m.
- Far Out Fair – Oct. 10, various locations, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Virtual Aerial Display & Fly-in via Zoom – Oct. 10, Noon – 1:00 p.m.
- TNG Drive-In Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Oct. 10, Concorde Parking Lot, 8:30 p.m.
- TNG eSports Tournament via Twitch – Oct. 13, 7:00 p.m.
- TNG Movie: Mulan (1998) – Oct. 15, IC 101, 8:30 p.m.
- Skyline Social: Virtual Trivia via Zoom – Oct. 16, 8:00 p.m.
- TNG Movie: The Invisible Man – Oct. 22, IC 101, 8:30 p.m.
- Skyline Social: Painting Kit Sign-ups Open via Campus Groups – Oct. 26, 8:00 a.m.
- Skyline Social: Paint Party via Zoom – Oct. 30, 8:00 p.m.
Keep Looking Forward – Career Services
Students are also encouraged to “keep their eyes on the prize” – meaningful jobs in the future – by participating in events organized by Embry-Riddle’s Career Services.
Students enrolled at all Embry-Riddle campuses can participate in most of the following activities. All events are accessible to students, alumni and employers via the Handshake platform.
- JCPenney SUIT-UP Event, now through Oct. 31
- Co-op/Internships – Have Questions? We have Answers! Tuesdays, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. EDT
- Career Services and Industry Panel Update, Oct. 7, Noon - 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Northrop Grumman: Creating and Sustaining a Culture of Belonging, Oct. 7, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. EDT
- Gulfstream Aerospace Information Session, Oct. 7, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. EDT
- Collins Aerospace Virtual Information Session, Oct. 12, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. EDT
- Late Night with Lockheed Martin Information Session, Oct. 12, 9:00 – 10:00 p.m. EDT
- Fall 2020 Virtual Industry/Career Expo, Oct. 13, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EDT
- L3Harris Virtual Info Session, Oct. 13, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. EDT
- Behind the Scenes, An Inside Look at Piedmont Airlines, Oct. 14, Noon – 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Coffee Chat: Is Grad School for You?, Oct. 21, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. EDT
- Virtual Graduate School Fair, Oct. 21, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. EDT
- Coffee Chat: Drop in for LinkedIn, Oct. 28, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. EDT
- Jobs in the U.S. for International Students, a special presentation by Lou Paris, Oct. 28, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. EDT
- Coffee Chat: Federal Opportunities, Nov. 4, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. EDT
- Veterans’ Week Embraer Q&A, Nov. 9, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. EDT
- ERAU Veteran Q&A with Airbus, Nov. 10, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. EDT
Industry/Career Expo Presentations
Students who missed recent Industry/Career Expo preparation presentations may visit the Career Services YouTube Channel to watch recordings at their convenience. Students with questions may reach out to their Career Services Program Manager: https://careerservices.erau.edu/contact.
Aviation Outlook Webinars
From aviation and aerospace industry leaders, to the Chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, Administrator of the FAA, key players in unmanned aerial systems and technical experts helping launch rockets into space, Embry-Riddle’s Aviation Outlook webinars allow students and others to watch and ask questions of a range of accomplished and inspiring guests.
These free webinars, scheduled every two to four weeks, are open to all and use an online format that allows for audience participation regardless of location, via Zoom. They are presented by the Deans of Embry-Riddle’s three Aviation Colleges.
The next Aviation Outlook webinar, featuring a Women’s Network Panel, will take place via Zoom on Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.
Students Urged to Ask for Help if Needed
Embry-Riddle students have repeatedly been urged to reach out for help if they need it at this time. Health officials have noted that major disease outbreaks can cause feelings of loneliness and isolation, and trigger or worsen mental health issues and substance abuse. Students should not hesitate to reach out for help – sooner rather than later.An array of counseling and support services are available.