Covid-19 Vaccines Opening to All Adults in Both Florida and Arizona
State-run Covid-19 vaccination sites in Florida, where Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Daytona Beach Campus is located, will open to those age 40 and up as of Monday, March 29 and to age 18 and up as of Monday, April 5.
In Arizona, home of Embry-Riddle’s Prescott Campus, Yavapai County will offer vaccines to everyone age 18 beginning on Monday, March 29. Nearby Maricopa County is already vaccinating all those age 16 and up.
Earlier this month, Embry-Riddle’s first successful on-campus vaccination clinic took place on the Prescott Campus. Yesterday, we were able to secure a small number of additional vaccines through our Arizona healthcare provider. We are meanwhile working to try and arrange for regular vaccine deliveries to the Prescott Campus.
- NOTE: Please do not call the Wellness Center regarding the next on-campus clinic. We will send further information as soon as we can do so. Campus supplies will always be limited. Everyone is urged to seek vaccination opportunities in the community without delay.
The demand for vaccinations is likely to surge on Monday, March 29 as age restrictions are lowered in Florida and Arizona. Avoid the rush and get vaccinated now – this weekend, if you can do so.
In Florida, as of today:
- FEMA-run sites still seem to be vaccinating all higher education employees – from food service personnel to professors – who present a university ID and a driver’s license or state-issued ID card. In case of questions, remember that all university employees fall into several key groups – as teachers and/or essential workers at an institution with dual-enrollment programs for high school students.
- The FEMA sites closest to the Daytona Beach Campus are located at Gateway Mall, 5200 Norwood Avenue, Jacksonville, and Valencia College – West Campus, 1800 S. Kirkman Road, Orlando. These sites are open 7:00 am – 7:00 pm, seven days a week, no appointment needed. The process is quick and easy.
- In addition, Orange County is accepting appointments for vaccinations at the Orange County Convention Center site. Log onto the Orange County vaccine registration site now. One of the categories listed as eligible for vaccination through Orange County is “educator or staff member at a school/college.”
Am I Required to Get Vaccinated?
- Embry-Riddle is strongly urging everyone to get a Covid-19 vaccination as soon as possible, but vaccines are not currently a requirement for employees or students.
- However, we will continue to evaluate safety risks to our community. Our rules may evolve as vaccines become more available, or in response to government requirements.
- The university last week announced that faculty and staff who have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days can take necessary university-funded or sponsored trips within the United States, if they must do so as an essential part of their job function.
- Currently available Covid-19 vaccines are safe and effective, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Get vaccinated now – especially if you play or supervise sports, take part in university recruitment activities, or need to travel for work or competitions. If you feel hesitant about getting vaccinated, please take a moment to review these CDC questions and answers for yourself. You can also read more and access clinical trial data for each vaccine via this CDC webpage.
- Employees and students who have been vaccinated for at least 14 days can skip daily wellness checks by getting an All Clear badge.
Latest Covid-19 Test Results
Embry-Riddle’s latest results reflect the time-period March 18-25, 2021. The following numbers are cumulative, gathered since our testing began on June 22, 2020:
DAYTONA BEACH CAMPUS (since June 22, 2020)
- 6,766 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (screening & contact type)
- 3,529 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (sentinel type)
- 315 cases confirmed positive by Embry-Riddle
- 186 other cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 1 previously confirmed case
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 502
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 451
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 51
Total Vaccinated – Daytona Beach Campus: 223
NOTE: The numbers above are cumulative, compiled since June 22, 2020. On the Daytona Beach Campus, 34 cases of Covid-19 were newly discovered during this past week (March 18-25, 2021).
PRESCOTT CAMPUS (since June 22, 2020)
- 3,194 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (screening & contact type)
- 941 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (sentinel type)
- 46 cases confirmed positive by Embry-Riddle
- 81 other cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 5 previously confirmed cases
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 132
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 131
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 1
Total Vaccinated – Prescott Campus: 284
NOTE: The numbers above are cumulative, compiled since June 22, 2020. On the Prescott Campus, 1 new case of Covid-19 was newly discovered during this past week (March 18-25, 2021).
WORLDWIDE CAMPUS (since June 22, 2020)
- 3 cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 3 previously confirmed cases
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 6
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 6
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 0
Only confirmed (not suspected) cases are reported. All confirmed cases are fully disclosed to the university community as well as all appropriate health authorities. Embry-Riddle’s Covid-19 test results are released every Friday. They are posted to our Latest Testing Results online site.
Visit Embry-Riddle’s Covid-19 page for further information about the university’s health precautions and safety requirements.