TREP Expo to Headline Innovation and Entrepreneurship Week
By Ramy A. Rahimi
November at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is a time for the Eagle community to unleash their creativity with new business ventures.
The headlining event of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Week (IE Week) — which offers a full slate of panels, workshops, evening talks, networking events and more on the Daytona Beach Campus — is TREP Expo 2023. Embry‑Riddle’s showcase of venture concepts, TREP EXPO is open to all students, faculty, staff and alumni. It offers aspiring entrepreneurs expert guidance to enhance their skills and chances for success.
- Application Deadline: Nov 3
- Event Date: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16
- Event Location: Mori Hosseini Student Union Event Center
- $6,500 Prize Pool: Cash prizes to top four winners + Audience Choice Award
To participate in TREP EXPO '23, each team must submit a title, a list of team members (noting their status as student, faculty or alumni) and a brief abstract not to exceed 275 words. Additionally, applicants should include an email address (an “erau.edu” address is preferred), degree program (if applicable) and a display option.
One-person teams may apply — although team members can only participate on one team. Applications will be screened by a committee and evaluated on three criteria:
- Commercial Viability. The venture is likely to be successful in the marketplace because it provides an elegant solution to a significant problem for which customers are willing to pay.
- Innovativeness. The venture proposes a novel, unique value proposition: a different and better way to solve the problem.
- General Interest. Is the venture in an interesting market space? Is it cool? Is it clever?
Accepted venture teams will be assigned into one of four groups:
- Aviation, Aerospace and Engineering
- Space Technology Repurposed
- Global Product and Services
- Veteran Entrepreneurs
Here's a sneak peek of what's in store at Embry-Riddle’s Daytona Beach Campus, Nov. 13-16.
Monday (Nov. 13)
- 10-11:30 a.m.: "Veterans Entrepreneurship Program Announcement," at the Henderson Welcome Center
- 5:30-7 p.m.: "Evening Talk with Shukri Tofey, entrepreneurship expert from Oxford University, at The Chamber (Student Union, Room 210)
Tuesday (Nov. 14)
- 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: "The Entrepreneur's Legal Guide: Protecting You and Your Startup/Small Business," at The Chamber (Student Union: 210)
- 2:15-3:30 p.m.: "Innovation's Triple Play: Tech Transfer, Patent Agent/Lawyer and USPTO," at The Chamber (Student Union: 210)
Wednesday (Nov. 15)
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: The Student Research Symposium, presented by the Office of Undergraduate Research, at the Student Union Event Center
- 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: "Building Better Products: MVP Rapid Prototyping Workshop," at The Chamber (Student Union: 210)
- 2:15-3:30 p.m.: "From Space to Marketplace: NASA's Impact on Companies & Student Ventures," at The Chamber (Student Union: 210)
Thursday (Nov. 16)
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: TREP Expo 2023, featuring a pitch competition, networking event and panel, at the Student Union Event Center
For more information, contact Dr. Ramy Rahimi, director of the Embry-Riddle Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, at 386.226.7489 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events are also hosted in partnership with the following organizations:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Aviation
- College of Engineering
- The MicaPlex at Embry‑Riddle Research Park
- NAACE Everyday Entrepreneur Program
- NACCE Drive Program
Posted In: Business