Don’t Fumble in the End Zone – Stay Sharp
Healthcare workers on the front lines are racing to get two safe, highly effective Covid-19 vaccines into people’s arms wherever supplies exist. Three more vaccines are in Phase 3 clinical trials in the United States.
With the end of the pandemic in sight, we can’t allow complacency to make us fumble in the end zone. Ever heard of former football player Earnest Byner? (With the Super Bowl coming up, we couldn’t resist this analogy.) In the 1987 AFC Championship Game, with slightly more than a minute left to play, the Browns running back fumbled at the Broncos’ one-yard line. Instead of scoring the game-tying touchdown, Byner handed a win to the Broncos. Ouch.
Yes, vaccines are on their way, but the Covid-19 virus is rapidly mutating. Three new Covid-19 variants spread far more easily and quickly, and they’ve already arrived in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Everyone at Embry-Riddle is required to wear a mask, stay six feet apart and have a daily wellness check. No exceptions. Thanks to all Eagles who are helping.
Embry-Riddle has been exploring every possible option to obtain vaccine supplies. We will notify everyone as soon as supplies become available to us. Meanwhile, we urge you to get vaccinated as soon as you are able to do so. Those who have completed their vaccination series (both doses) will be able to skip their daily wellness checks. Watch for an announcement next week on how to provide proof of your vaccination.
Websites with vaccination information for various regions include:
- CDC Vaccine Finder
- NEW – Veterans Affairs (some veterans under age 65 are eligible)
- Yavapai County Covid-19 Vaccine Status
- Arizona Department of Health Services
- Florida Health – Volusia County Immunizations
- Florida Health – State of Florida
Latest Covid-19 Testing Results
Embry-Riddle’s latest results reflect the time-period Jan. 21-28. The following numbers are cumulative, gathered since our testing began on June 22:
DAYTONA BEACH CAMPUS (since June 22)
- 5,512 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (screening & contact type)
- 2,733 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (sentinel type)
- 229 cases confirmed positive by Embry-Riddle
- 126 other cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 1 previously confirmed case
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 356
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 302
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 54
NOTE: The numbers above are cumulative, compiled since June 22. On the Daytona Beach Campus, 29 cases of Covid-19 were newly discovered during this past week (Jan. 21-28).
PRESCOTT CAMPUS (since June 22)
- 2,604 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (screening & contact type)
- 660 individuals tested by Embry-Riddle (sentinel type)
- 37 cases confirmed positive by Embry-Riddle
- 73 other cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 5 previously confirmed cases
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 115
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 111
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 4
NOTE: The numbers above are cumulative, compiled since June 22. On the Prescott Campus, three new cases of Covid-19 were newly discovered during this past week (Jan. 21-28).
WORLDWIDE CAMPUS (since June 22)
- 3 cases confirmed positive through external testing
- 3 previously confirmed cases
Total Cases Confirmed to Date: 6
Total Cases Recovered/Cleared to Resume Activities: 6
Total Cases Active/Under Isolation: 0
Only confirmed (not suspected) cases are reported. All confirmed cases are fully disclosed to the university community as well as all appropriate health authorities. Embry-Riddle’s Covid-19 test results are released every Friday. They are posted to our Latest Testing Results online site.Visit Embry-Riddle’s Covid-19 page for further information about the university’s health precautions and safety requirements