The Art of Having Confidence
Confidence! This is something that you cannot purchase or steal. You cannot gain it overnight and it cannot be given as a gift. Confidence takes time to acquire through personal experiences, knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Gaining confidence begins with inward reflection. Assessing your positive attributes help you portray confidence. In addition, your outward appearance adds to developing a strong self-esteem. The art of having confidence is combining your internal assessments and portraying your traits outwardly. Confidence is an important part of everyone’s life, but it is especially important for those seeking a job or internship.
The job or internship search really shakes even the most confident person. Apply to numerous job postings, interviewing for only a few, and then not getting offered a position can hurt one’s ego. It is important, however, to maintain confidence throughout the job/internship search process because if an employer suspects a person has low self-confidence or low self-esteem, why would the employer want to hire him or her?
Below are some suggestions to keep your morale high during this tough process:
- Make a list of your strengths and achievements – This list can be reviewed often to help maintain confidence.Look it over right before you interview as it will help you focus on your best traits.
- Talk to yourself in the mirror – Take time every day to tell yourself about your great qualities.
- Ask for reassurance from loved ones – Those who are special in your life probably have a million wonderful qualities they love about you.Ask them to remind you every so often to keep your confidence high.
- Seek feedback after an interview – After interviewing with a company in which you thought you did extremely well, but were not selected for the position, ask the employer for some feedback.There are so many contributing factors that go into a hiring decision that it might be beyond your realm of control.
- Take time for yourself – During this hectic process, make sure you take plenty of ‘me’ time.Participate in a hobby you enjoy or try a new activity.Taking your mind off the mundane process every so often can help you maintain your confidence.
- Seek others in the same situation – You probably know a few other people going through this same process.Take time to discuss strategies and even hardships with them.
Confidence in a job/internship search comes from knowing that you are following the correct steps. Take time to perfect your resume, cover letter, and other application materials. Practice your interview skills through Big Interview. Use the Career Services advice and resources to ensure you are putting your best foot forward. For more helpful information, please visit our website: https://careerservices.erau.edu/
Throughout this process, you must maintain confidence in yourself and maintain confidence that the right position is out there for you. Helen Keller said it best “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.”